Join our community
- Expression Web Forum
- Expression web resources
- Build Expression Web Template 1
- Build Expression Web template 2
- Build Expression Web Template 3
- Style horizontal Navigation with CSS
- Style vertical menu with CSS
- Style the main content area
- Style the footer
- Centre a page
- Build Expression Web DWT Tutorial
- Graphic Template example
- Free Expression Web Templates
- Add RSS to Expression Web
- Expression web forms
- RSS feeds
- 10 Tips
- Page includes
- Insert flash in expression web
- Expression web dropdown menu
- Use XML with Expression Web
- Point and click easy drop-down menu's
- Table Based Layouts
- ASP.NET Ad Rotator
- Display Data
- Search database using a text box
- Transparent Text
- Bold text - Formatting
- Date and time
- Who are you
Insert flash in expression web
Expression web, unlike frontpage, does not support any point and click method of inserting flash onto a page. However a very simple solution is available using the swfobject.js method.
Make a code snippet.
It will save you much time in the future, if you make a code snippet of the following script. An example of creating a code snippet in expression web can be found here in our create a page include tutorial.
Changing the script.
<div id="flashcontent"> This text is replaced by the Flash movie. </div>
You can replace this text with your own. An example might be a brief note of what the flash tutorial is about and something to tell the user to upgrade their flash player.
If the user has the required player the flash file will replace the text content. This method has the benefit of search engine optimization.
The main bit
var so = new SWFObject("movie.swf", "mymovie", "200", "100", "7", "#336699");
- movie.swf - Change to the name of your swf file. In this case movie.swf.
- id - The ID of your object or embed tag. Could be mymovie like the example above
- width - Change to the width of your Flash movie.
- height - Change to the height of your Flash movie.
- version - The required player version for your Flash content. This
can be a string in the format of 'majorVersion.minorVersion.revision'.
An example would be:
"6.0.65". Or you can just require the major version, such as
- background color - This is the hex value of the background color of your Flash movie. Change this to suit your own page colour scheme.
How to use this method in expression web
Make sure that you have the swfobject.js file in the root of your web. The most likely method of doing this is to import the file into expression web. Open the page you want to insert flash in and use split view. In the design area, click the mouse where you want the flash content to go...
Flash example below
... Then look in code view for corresponding part of the page in the html code. You will see a small grey highlighter, this is where you will paste the main code block. Officially, the code cannot be pasted into a <p> tag for instance but you could place the code inside a <p> tag and then remove the tag afterwards. This might help a little with the placement.
Test your page in a browser.
Inserting flash in expression web tutorial. (flash tutorial)
Feed back or questions? Expression Web forums.