Forum Home Forum Home > Expression Web > ASPX
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to expression web help - thank you for joining us.

Forms suddenly stop working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Just starting out
Just starting out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlben1949 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forms suddenly stop working
    Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 2:15am
 I have a simple Expression Web website with four forms (https://goo.gl/WvNU6B). My webhost is Arvixe. For several years my forms have worked perfectly with Arvixe as my host. Then, five days ago, all four forms began to fail almost all of the time. Instead of the form data being emailed to me, it goes to my custom error message. The actual error code was 500. First I was notified by clients, and then I began testing the forms and 9 out of 10 times they failed. Now, I have made no changes at all to my forms for months if not years. I even re-published the website to make sure something hadn't changed from the original. Still the forms go to my custom error page 90% of the time. Arvixe so far has not been able to fix it. I am at a loss to understand what could have happened, but since I made no changes on my end, I have to assume that something changed on the webhosting side. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to approach fixing this problem. Here is a link to one of the four forms: https://goo.gl/AYgUAj

Thank you for any suggestions or help you can give me. 
Sponsored Links

tcertain View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcertain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 8:47am
Sounds to me like they stopped supporting FrontPage extensions which were used to control form properties. Has Arvixe always been your host. If so, I would ask about FP Extensions.
Also if you ftp anything (filezilla,etc.) instead of using http upload, you can break FP extensions.

These are the 2 most probable problems.
TCertain
"The Truly Educated Never Graduate" - Author Unknown
carlben1949 View Drop Down
Just starting out
Just starting out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlben1949 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 1:57pm
Yes, Arvixe has been me host for years. So, are you saying that Front Page extensions are used to control form properties for Expression Web forms?

I've always uploaded files using Expression Web. In addition, this problem started about 6 days ago and I haven't uploaded anything in more than one month. 

So, it sounds like you think, if I understand you correctly, that something is went wrong with their side of FrontPage extensions?

Thank you for your help and suggestions!
Just starting out
Just starting out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlben1949 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 4:30am
I asked my webhost about Front Page extensions, and this is what they said:

Good Day,
We have not supported FrontPage, in a long time. some FrontPage scripts will run without support for FrontPage, but if it looking for a .dll file that is not present, it would fail.

I would suggest you not use the frontpage extensions.

I don't know what this means. I don't understand how a windows server that support Expression Web would not support Front Page if Expression Web needs it.  Again, I have been with this webhost for years, and only 10 days ago did the forms stop working. Instead of the data in the forms being emailed to me, I get an error message. I just don't understand how this can be fixed.

tcertain View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcertain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 8:58am
There are javascript and asp scripts that can do what you want. Arvixe will have to help with it though as each host is different
TCertain
"The Truly Educated Never Graduate" - Author Unknown
Just starting out
Just starting out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlben1949 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 4:36am
So i asserted to Arvixe that the problem is on their end, not mine, and this is what they said:

"Good Day,

I do apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may be causing you. I have temporarily installed an ASP.NET example email script in the subdomain 'arvxtest.serenityonlinetherapy.com', I created in your account. You are welcome to delete it at any time, or ask us to and we will be happy to remove it. I have left it in place for your reference.

You can test with this by adding the following line to your host file.

143.95.251.43 arvxtest.serenityonlinetherapy.com

Installing this allowed me to test the server for email sending issue. I was able to determine that there is an intermittent issue with using an external IP address that is assigned to the NIC (Server). It will fail sometimes and generate the following error.

(Unable to read data from the transport connection: net_io_connectionclosed.)

I am not going to get into the specifics for this error, but the resolution is to use 127.0.0.1 as the SMTP Server, or Network host in the mail settings of the Web.config file.

<system.net>
<mailSettings>
<smtp>
<network host="127.0.0.1" userName="arvxtest@serenityonlinetherapy.com" port="26" password="Testing1234!" />
</smtp>
</mailSettings>
</system.net>

As the local server is required to send mail, via script, and the script is running on the local server, this should not be an issue.

Also, please note, Arvixe has not supported FrontPage Extensions for a long time, and are not responsible to replace or fix your FrontPage scripts if they do not work on our servers, although we are happy to assist the best we can. We are not web developers, FrontPage Extensions and coding is outside the scope of out support. Any support offered in this area in done as a courtesy and we provide no promises or guarantee that the above resolution will resolve your issue with your FrontPage Script. We can provide example scripts, for our customers reference and assist the best we can.

We do support Server related configuration issue, which turned out to be an issue in this case. I have provided the resolution to the issue (above) and have provide an ASP.NET example script located in the site 'arvxtest.serenityonlinetherapy.com' for your reference. You are welcome to test with it and use any of it that you are able to. We can also provide a Classic ASP example script, or PHP example script, at your request.

If you have any further questions, or need additional assistance, please let us know, We are always happy to help the best we can. If you want us to remove the test subdomain 'arvxtest.serenityonlinetherapy.com' please let us know. We will be happy to take care of that for you.

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE TO ANYONE? DOES IT SEEM REASONABLE. I DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT HE'S ASKING ME TO DO. I'VE ASKED FOR CLARIFICATION AND AM WAITING FOR HIS REPLY.

Thanks for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic