Forum Home Forum Home > Affiliate Marketing with Expression web > Gooffiliate Members Knowledge Base
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to expression web help - thank you for joining us.

Form View Hyperlinks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gooffiliate Gold
Gooffiliate Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Form View Hyperlinks
    Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 12:11pm
I've been using SQL for some time now and it was doing just fine until today. I'm not sure what happened. 
Here's what I've done:

1. Downloaded updated database from SAS. 
  2. Made necessary changes to userid and removed "&" from category field
  3. Imported txt into Access
  4. Converted and migrated table to SQL
After doing this I found that the links I have going to the affiliate site do not work. It's only the ones for this particular table all the others still work. 
My set up consists of a datagrid with individual products displayed based on category. Then there is a more information link to display details of the items. 
The hyperlink to buy is set up with the text linked to the ItemName and the navigateurl linked to AffLink.
I have no formatting on the AffLink. 

The issue is VS is making the link a bookmark so it appears like this when you click on the buy now link:

http://localhost:58910/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=2#http://www.shareasale.com/m-pr.cfm?merchantID=4742&userID=513458&productID=556275724#

I'm sure these pages worked before and nothing was changed (until I found this issue) on the pages themselves just the database updated. I've done this same thing before with no issues.

The code for the hyperlink looks like this:

<asp:HyperLink ID="HyperLink3" runat="server" NavigateUrl='<%# Eval("AffLink") %>' Text='<%# Eval("ItemName", "Buy Now --> {0}") %>'></asp:HyperLink>

I have the import saved so I'm using the same method each time I import the text file. The same goes for the conversion to SQL and migration. This problem did not show up the last time I updated the database a couple of months ago.

adding: This is one of the pages that leads to the issue. If you click on the more information link the page shows the details and then if you click on the Buy Now link the page opens in a new window but instead of being on the merchants site it is the same page. 

Edited by tjaks - 22 Dec 2014 at 12:16pm
Sponsored Links

jimd View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:17am
Hi TJ I have had a similar problem in the past but don't recall the issue.
Can you post a link that works also so I can see the link code?
JIM
tjaks View Drop Down
Gooffiliate Gold
Gooffiliate Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 10:38am
jimd View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 1:28pm
sorry and the code for the link/s that work?
Thanks
JIM
tcertain View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcertain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 3:10pm
Just an FYI, but MS just did some window updates that included VS - so my suggestion would be to go to your updates in the Control Panel > PROGRAMS & FEATURES and delete the VS updates and see if that solves the problem
TCertain
"The Truly Educated Never Graduate" - Author Unknown
tjaks View Drop Down
Gooffiliate Gold
Gooffiliate Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2014 at 11:26am
Here is the code from the page I posted that works. I have several different shopping pages now for different merchants but most are set up exactly the same. 

<asp:HyperLink ID="HyperLink2" runat="server" NavigateUrl='<%# Eval("Afflink") %>' Target="_blank" Text='<%# Eval("ItemName", "Buy Now --> {0}") %>'></asp:HyperLink>

The one not working uses category list then a gridview and finally the form view. I did try to  redo it so the form view was the only thing on that page and it was linked from another page but still had the same issue.

tjaks View Drop Down
Gooffiliate Gold
Gooffiliate Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 10:51am
I found where the problem is starting but I'm not sure how to fix it. 

It seems that SQL Server Migration Assistant added the # in front of the hyperlink for the Afflink field. It did not happen for any of the other links. This is the first time I've seen something like this. 

I don't know what I can do to correct the problem.
tjaks View Drop Down
Gooffiliate Gold
Gooffiliate Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 11:06am
Since I was at a loss to do anything else I figured starting over was worth a shot. 
I checked the txt file and the link was right in that file so I imported it to Access again. Made some necessary changes using a query (added a category to blank category items). Refreshed the database in SQL Server. At this point I looked at the data tab in SQL and the link still looked correct. Converted, Migrated and Uploaded the database for just the one table. Refreshed the view for the server connection and viewed the data tab. 
The link was still correct and now the website works as it should. 

Merry Christmas.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic