Forum Home Forum Home > Expression Web > General Expression web problems
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - service.lck headaches.  Can you provid an Aspirin!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to expression web help - thank you for joining us.

service.lck headaches. Can you provid an Aspirin!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Just starting out
Just starting out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A3Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: service.lck headaches. Can you provid an Aspirin!
    Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 2:55pm
Installed EW on a new Vista 64 bit machine.  Copied webs from EW on my laptop and pasted into wwwroot on new Vista 64 machine.  I can access the webs in EW and edit the pages, but when I try to save a file, I get this dreaded warning:

Server error:  The server extensions were unable to access the file "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\web_name\_vti_pvt\service.lck".  Please check the file permissions.

I've checked the file - it is where it should be, but it has 0 bytes in it.  If I delete it, I can't access the web at all.  Furthermore, this newbie doesn't know how to check or change permissions.

Your kind help would be appreciated.

Regards

Sponsored Links

herb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 9:51pm
A3Driver,

Not entirely sure about this, but could you give a bit more information?

The _vti_pvt subdirectory is where Expression web stores some of its internal files to keep track of the website. It not for the user to play around with.

(1) Do you still have access to files on laptop?

(2) Do you have the same version of EW on both machines?

(3) When you said that you copied the files, I assume that you meant that literally. Via something like drag and drop with Windows to a flash drive thhat you swapped betwen computers.

I'm not an expert at moving EW websites between machines, but I'd suspect that EW is getting confused because the copy (through windows?) didn't preserve all the relative  addressing or absolute addressing which is in EW's internal files.

Since you haven't been able to save new work, I'd guess that you don't have too much to lose by going back to  laptop and  use the menu option "File/Export/Personal Web package" which will create a "proper" file which can be transferred to the new computer via (you guess it!) the menu option "File/Import/Personal web package".

There are all sorts of ways to skin the cat. If this won't work, let us know and someone will help you sort this out.

Edited by herb - 24 Apr 2009 at 9:54pm
Herb Acree
A3Driver View Drop Down
Just starting out
Just starting out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A3Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 4:08am
Originally posted by herb herb wrote:

A3Driver,

Not entirely sure about this, but could you give a bit more information?

The _vti_pvt subdirectory is where Expression web stores some of its internal files to keep track of the website. It not for the user to play around with.

(1) Do you still have access to files on laptop?

(2) Do you have the same version of EW on both machines?

(3) When you said that you copied the files, I assume that you meant that literally. Via something like drag and drop with Windows to a flash drive thhat you swapped betwen computers.

I'm not an expert at moving EW websites between machines, but I'd suspect that EW is getting confused because the copy (through windows?) didn't preserve all the relative  addressing or absolute addressing which is in EW's internal files.

Since you haven't been able to save new work, I'd guess that you don't have too much to lose by going back to  laptop and  use the menu option "File/Export/Personal Web package" which will create a "proper" file which can be transferred to the new computer via (you guess it!) the menu option "File/Import/Personal web package".

There are all sorts of ways to skin the cat. If this won't work, let us know and someone will help you sort this out.

Thank you for your well thought out and courteous reply.  It seems as if you read my mind on all your assumptions.  I was, however, able to sort out the problem by changing the file permissions in wwwroot.  The Microsoft Knowledge Base helped as well.  I will print out and save your process for the future.

Warm Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic