Forum Home Forum Home > The tea room > Hot strong and 2 sugars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The ultimate expression web tutorial for new folk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to expression web help - thank you for joining us.

The ultimate expression web tutorial for new folk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The ultimate expression web tutorial for new folk
    Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 5:49am
Welcome new users.
So you have got yourself a copy of expression web and landed here looking for help. First of all let me welcome you to our world, thank you for dropping by.
I have created a new tutorial for expression web that i hope will introduce you to the workings of the programme. It has become clear to me that not everyone understands today's buzz words or how they might be used. Divs/CSS/XHTML/XML. It is also clear that expression web can be very confusing for many new users.
I have thought long and hard about this and wanted to put together a tutorial that will hopefully help to introduce you to the workings of css. The difference between this new tutorial and our existing ones is that the new one uses tables for page layout! I am sure my peers will criticize this approach but actually i don't care! What i do care about is that you the product user, starts to understand the way we do things in expression web. If this means using tables to show you, then so be it.
I like to think of this tutorial as a stepping stone towards you building table less web sites, and i hope there is enough information to enable you to have a light bulb moment or two. (Ah so that how its done or NOW i understand!)
The principle of table based design using css are not that different from divs and css so go ahead, if it helps you out, build a table based design at the very least you will be building valid web sites, that are not bloated with dozens of .newstyle1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/styles and you will build a site that pretty much displays the same in any browser.
Please let me have some feed back via this forum. I wish you luck.
You need to set up EW in the following way to make it perform as per the tutorial by going into Page Editor Options/CSS and changing Sizing, Positioning and Floating to CSS (classes). Thank you to cronk for that update.
JIM

Edited by jimd - 04 Jul 2009 at 6:52pm
Sponsored Links

49 Dragon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49 Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 8:29am

Hi Jim
Thanks for another tutorial, I am sure it will take us another step forward.

The first part, why is my ew generated code different to yours, part of my code
I refer to:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="main.css" />
</head>

<body>

<table style="width: 100%" id="table1">
    <tr>
        <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
</table>
<table style="width: 100%" id="table2">
    <tr>
        <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
</table>

Den

Everywhere: Where Right and Glory Lead.
49 Dragons
Kevan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 9:50am
just had a quick look,

sound jumps when you move your mouse but looking good from \i have seen

will go through it  when I get the chance.

kevan
jimd View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 10:00am
Den, have you got styles set to manual by chance?
JIM
49 Dragon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49 Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 10:27am

Jim

No, they are set to auto.

Den

49 Dragons
twynn View Drop Down
Just starting out
Just starting out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 10:41am
When I click on the link it asks me to update flash player and when I do so it all just happens again.  any ideas?
Alaskan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaskan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 11:55am

Hello,

My name is Holly and I am a CSS convert.... thank you
%3clap
49 Dragon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49 Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 1:49pm

Hi twynn

This could be a firewall problem.

You could go to the download page and download the latest version.

You could also turn of auto updates on the 'Settings Manager' this is a panel that runs on your local computer but you get to it from the Adobe web site, put this in google and you should get there: global notifications settings panel

Den
49 Dragons
jimd View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 1:54pm
Hi Den thank you for pointing this out. I am now guessing you are following along in The Jan preview we have or the new v2beta? This was build with v1 and but hopefully highlights a change for the good in the newer versions? I never did like the way it adds cellpadding and spacing. Anyway before i ramble on can you confirm if i am right?
Thanks
JIM
49 Dragon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 49 Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 2:08pm
Den

I tried them both Jim with same results ???

Den
49 Dragons
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic