Forum Home Forum Home > Expression Web > Expression web tutorials help section
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to expression web help - thank you for joining us.

Insert Flash in Expression Web

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insert Flash in Expression Web
    Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 7:23am
Expression web does not have a point and click method to insert flash in the way that frontpage did. One could open up your site in FP and use the flash tool there but it will result in invalid code and when viewed, the user will see the 'click to activate this control' message!

This tutorial explains a simple way to insert flash in expression web.

jim
Sponsored Links

Kevan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 7:57am

WTG Jim

followed the tut, and everything works great, as you know my love of flash...

the only thing I dislike is the background colour, you will have to reset this colour to your flash background colour, and mine change??? will try it later without the color and see if it works, with my colours....

But once again a great tut and it works WELL DONE,

ps, could do with some contols on the vid so I can stop for a cup of tea.... hehe

sas123 View Drop Down
Just starting out
Just starting out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sas123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2007 at 8:18am
Ok guys, I am not a programmer or even anything close to it.  I used to use Frontpage for a long time since it was very novice friendly and for most part I got to use it very efficiently. 

Lack of a straight forward way of placing SWF files into Expression Web really cramped my style and I started looking for solutions all over.  Anyway, through trial and error as I was converting from Frontpage 2003 to Expression web I found the way below to insert Flash in Expression web in a snap Wink  I hope this helps all the non-programmers out there.

Under code view, just insert this sample code in the area of the page where you want your flash to go:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000" id="obj1" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" border="0" width="428" height="428">
<param name="movie" value="YOUR_FILE.swf">
<param name="quality" value="High">
<embed src="YOUR_FILE.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="obj1" width="428" quality="High" style="height: 428px"></object>

Then, go to "Design" view and double click the box that now appears on the page.  You will see two tabs (Appearance & General)
From there, its self-explanatory.... just plug in the value that you want for size, background, etc.  Make sure under General tab you point to your own SWF file. 

Cheers,

jimd View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2007 at 8:30am
Hey SAS thanks for sharing that great little tip. If you are a prolific flash users then this code is worthy of being made into a code snippet!
The tutorial i gave above is more about inserting flash in expression web in a way that does away the 'click to activate this control' message that now appears for Flash objects. Having the warning is not a bad thing and only really matters when the user has to make an input. Our expression web flash tutorials actually suffer from the problem - i say problem the user has to click twice to get the thing going but it can become a pain when the site is flash rich.
Tell me does the method you describe show the 'click to activate' message?
JIM
sas123 View Drop Down
Just starting out
Just starting out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sas123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2007 at 8:32pm
The areas I have used this do not ask for "activation".  Once the page loads, the flash loads as well without user input.
jimd View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2007 at 7:21am
Just an update on the method proposed by sas123.
It does indeed allow you to insert flash quickly in expression web (especially if using code snippets) but the method does not get rid of the 'click to activate this control' message.
Nor unfortunately is the code valid. In XHTML 1 T <embed> is not permitted.

You dear reader, must do as you see fit.

A test page showing the method put forward by sas123 is here

JIM

kjkogi View Drop Down
Just starting out
Just starting out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjkogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 9:25am

how do you add parameters to the first one that takes away the "click to activate control" message. For example i want to add a flash movie with wmode: transparent.

Kjkogi
CEO, Cogz Designs

Edited by kjkogi - 12 Dec 2007 at 9:29am
jimd View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 2:34pm
Hi i am not really sure what you mean wmode:transparent.

JIM
kjkogi View Drop Down
Just starting out
Just starting out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjkogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 10:59pm
Like http://www.guiltbyassociation.com/newsite/. It's a site am working on. The news and dates are in tranparent mode.
jimd View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 12:17am
Hi Kenneth,
in transparent mode? I assume you mean they have a transparent background to them allowing the site bg to show through?
Background transparent is allowed so i should image if you create an id style for the
div id=flashcontent
that the effect you want would be possible?

HTH
JIM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic